EABL Week 19 Round Up


Week 19 in the EABL saw several games in action with some impressive wins, including a nail-biting overtime thriller between Itchen College and Copleston High School!


Southern Conference


In the most exciting game of the day, and possibly the EABL season, Itchen made an incredible fourth quarter comeback to claim a thrilling victory in overtime, finishing 111-108 on their home floor against Copleston High School. Similar to Itchen’s previous game against Alec Reed, Copleston would go on to make 7 three’s in the first quarter (including 5 in a row) to take a 17-point lead. A 10-0 run sparked by Kieran Allen then pulled Itchen back into the game, and the teams would trade blows until a 13-2 run by Itchen to finish the quarter saw them edge a two point lead, with a score of 48-46 going into the break. The final quarter would be as dramatic as any game played this season in the EABL. With Copleston holding a 14-point lead with 6 minutes remaining, Peter Turay and Jeremy Sochan ignited a 10-0 run to close the gap  81-85. An Itchen ball in the final minute saw Rhys Sundimalt step into a deep three to close the gap to one point (88-89), before Veron Eze would go 1 for 2 at the line with 9 seconds remaining. Itchen’s side out-of-bounds play was then broken up by Ethan Price who was able to get a breakaway steal to finish with an emphatic dunk, giving Copleston a 92-88 lead. With only seconds left, Jeremy Sochan inbounded the ball and dribbled the length of the floor pulling up and banking in a three point shot on the buzzer which was counted as an And-One play, as Ethan Price made contact on the shot and picked up his 5th foul. Jeremy Sochan was able to keep his nerve and connect on the free-throw, taking the game to overtime at 92 apiece. Copleston would go into overtime without star forward Ethan Price who had 33 points on the day, leaving Veron Eze and Ben Winter to carry the scoring load in the extra period. A final attempt from the visitors was stolen, and Itchen ultimately escaped 111-108.


JMA picked up a crucial 56-54 win away win over Canterbury Academy in the EABL action Wednesday. In a hard fought game, JMA made a comeback in the fourth quarter behind 15 points from Adria Nosa Castillo to pick up the crucial win. For 40 minutes, the game was a back and forth affair with multiple lead changes, big plays and inconsistent play from both teams. In the opening quarter, Canterbury were able to take a slim 16-14 lead behind the play of Milo Gordon and Sam Alajiki. However, two three pointers from Latrell Maitland reversed momentum in the second quarter. Another three from Asher Ndah late in the half then pushed JMA ahead, as they entered halftime leading the low scoring affair 28-27. The third quarter saw JMA struggling to score, despite 5 points from Nosa Castillo. A late three from Josh Moore pushed Canterbury into a 40-37 lead entering the final quarter, where a tense battle commenced as the teams traded the lead multiple times. JMA then started to score more frequently with Maitland hitting his third three of the game. Gordon would also rack up 8 points in the final quarter, giving Canterbury the lead multiple times. But each time JMA would answer, with Nosa and James Jolly making some key plays. With JMA leading 56-54 after a foul shot from David Chive, Canterbury had one last opportunity but were unable to convert a wide open three on the game’s final possession.


CoLA moved to a record of 8-9 in the EABL on Wednesday afternoon with a 91-41 win over Oaklands College. The first quarter saw CoLA run out to an early lead with Oscar Leigh-Hales setting the CoLA crowd alight with back to back triples from down town, whilst Will White and Tyreese Garrod also weighed in to get the crowd pumped. The second quarter saw CoLA extend the lead even further with Jordan Okonji and Louis Norton converting multiple baskets to lead CoLA into the half time break up 49-19. The second half was a similar affair. Oaklands were unable to make a dent in the home sides lead as CoLA ran out the game as the convincing winners. Jordan Okonji led CoLA in scoring with 15 points, whilst Tyreese Garrod and Oscar Leigh-Hales with 11 points each. Abdul Wurie had 13 points and was supported by 8 points from Rich Ashu.


Barking Abbey solidified their place at the top of the table as they moved to 15-1 with a victory over the visiting Alec Reed Academy on Wednesday, running out to a 84-59 win. A 9-0 run at the end of the first quarter for Barking Abbey broke open the game for the hosts.  Some strong defense and transition baskets paved the way for the run, which was carried into the second quarter. Robin Bedford and Spyros Kapsalos led the way for Barking Abbey who were able to push the lead out even further making it a 47-27 game at the break. The second half was an even game, as Alec Reed found some rhythm offensively thanks to Mo Adan’s 6 points in the third quarter. However, it was not enough to spark a comeback as Barking Abbey finished the game with four players in double figures, lead by Ade Adebayo who had 17 total. He was joined by Chris Feeney (13), Stephen Akpan (12) and Robin Bedford (11). Alec Reed were lead by 16 points from Adan and Barney Mambika who also finished with double figures, reaching 13 points with 9 points coming in the fourth quarter. 



Northern Conference


James Watt suffered a defeat at home to Northern Conference league leaders Charnwood College on Wednesday afternoon, with a final score of 96-71. James Watt came out moving the ball and scoring well, and surprised Charnwood with some consistent play which saw the first period end 25-20 to the home side. Charnwood attacked on the fast breaks, capitalising on James Watt’s turnovers and took advantage of their poor transition defense. The third quarter was similar to the first. A rejuvenated James Watt matched Charnwood on scoring and adjusted their transition defense. Both teams spread the ball evenly with multiple players scoring during the quarter with the score standing at 58-66 going into the fourth. James Watt were still in the fight and gave their all, however, Charnwood never panicked and continued their steady scoring with N.Kitenge controlling the flow of the game. James Watt became made some desperate last attempts at a comeback, but it wasn’t to be. Charnwood rounded the game off capitalising on quick shots and cruised to victory.


You must be logged in to post a comment Login